Death Knight WotLK Changes
- Bloody Vengeance – No longer increases frost and shadow damage.
- Blood Tap – Tooltip Fix : Duration changed to 20 seconds. (Old 47802d.)
- Bladed Armor – Now increases attack power by 1/2/3/4/5 for every 180 armor value. (Old 1/2/3/4/5 strength for every 400 armor)
- Bloody Vengeance – Now gives you a 1/2/3% bonus to physical damage (no longer effects frost and shadow) you deal for 30 sec after dealing a critical strike from a weapon swing, spell, or ability. Now stacks up to 1 times (down from 49).
- Abomination’s Might – Range of attack power increase now 45 yds (Old 20 yds)
- Obliterate Damage lowered. (Now Rank 3 – 100% weapon damage plus 238.5, and an additional 119.25 bonus damage per disease) (Old Rank 3 – 100% weapon damage plus 252, 126 bonus damage per disease.)
- Tundra Stalker – Now gives a passive bonus increase to your Icy Touch. (20/40/60/80/100%)
- Guile of Gorefiend – No longer gives bonus to Rune Strike critical damage.
- Howling Blast – Damage increased on all ranks. (Now Rank 5 – 259 to 281) (Old Rank 5 – 192 to 208)
- Runic Focus – Description changed to : “Unlike most casters, a Death Knight’s spells cause double damage on critical hits.”
- Death and Decay – Damage Increased (Now Rank 4 – 62 Damage) (Old Rank 4 – 52 Damage)
- Blood-Caked Blade – Damage increased to 25% of weapon damage. (Old 20% of weapon damage.)
- Blood Plague – Chance to remove a Heal over Time effect reduced to 25% (Old 50%)
- Reaping – Pestilence removed, Blood Strike added.
Druid WotLK Changes
- Starfall – Now has a 30 yard range. Instant cast.
- Nature’s Splendor – Now increases the duration of your Insect Swarm by 2.0 sec (down from 3.0)
- Typhoon – Rank 4 now does 1010 Nature damage (formerly bugged at 1 damage).
- Rake – DoT damage increased for all ranks.
- Swipe – No longer has a target limit. Now: (Rank 1) Swipe nearby enemies, inflicting 9 damage. Damage increased by attack power.
- Mangle (Cat) – Now does 200% normal damage (up from 160%). Additional damage increased for all ranks.
- Protector of the Pack – Now reduced damage per party member by 1/2/3% instead of a flat 3% for all ranks.
Hunter WotLK Changes
- Aspect of the Viper reworded – Now: The hunter takes on the aspect of the viper, causing ranged attacks to regenerate mana but reducing your total damage done by 50%. Mana gained is based on the speed of your ranged weapon. Only one Aspect can be active at a time.
- Aspect of the Wild – Rank 4 now increases Nature resistance by 130 (up from 70).
- Kindred Spirits – Description now includes “This does not stack with other movement speed increasing effects.”
- Aimed Shot – Mana cost reduced from 16% to 12% of base mana. Now instant cast. Cooldown increased from 6 seconds to 10 seconds. Ranged damage increase reduced for all ranks.
- Concussive Shot – Now has a 12 sec cooldown.
- Kill Shot – Now deals 200% weapon damage (down from 205%). Base damage reduced by approx 50% on all ranks.
- Multi-Shot – Mana cost increased for 12% to 13% of base mana.
- Focused Aim – No longer effects Aimed Shot. Now also increases your chance to hit by 1/2/3%.
- Marked for Death – Now increases your damage done by your shots and the damage done by your pet’s special abilities by 1/2/3/4/5% (down from 2/4/6/8/10%) on marked targets.
- Scatter Shot – Moved from Tier 5 to Tier 3, changed trees to Survival.
- Freezing Arrow – The trap placed by the arrow now breaks on any damage (instead of having a chance to break).
- Freezing Trap – Trap now breaks on any damage once again, instead of having a chance to break. (“Any damage caused will break the ice.”)
- Lock and Load – Now has a 2/4/6% proc chance on periodic damage (down from 5/10/15%).
- Point of No Escape – Changes from 3 to 2 points. Now also effects Freezing Arrow. Critical strike chance increase on affected targets is now 3/6% instead of 2/4/6%.
- Readiness – Moved from Tier 9 to Tier 5, changed trees to Marksmanship.
- Surefooted – Moved from Tier 4 to Tier 2. No longer increases hit chance.
- T.N.T. – Moved from Tier 2 to Tier 4
- Trap Mastery – Moved from Tier 3 to Tier 9. Now effects Freezing Trap in the same way as Frost Trap (duration increase, instead of root effect on dispell).
Mage WotLK Changes
- Sound Effect Spell – Polymorph Penguin and Polymorph Sheep added
- Missile Barrage – Now affects Arcane Barrage. Now has a 3/6/9/12/20% chance to reduce the channeled duration of the next Arcane Missiles spell by 2.5 secs and missiles will fire every .5 secs.
- Empowered Fireball – Renamed Empowered Fire. Now affects Frostfire Bolt.
- Living Bomb – Now has no knockup.
- Deep Freeze – Now does no damage.
- Frost Warding – Moved from Tier 1 to Tier 2
- Frostbite – Moved from Tier 2 to Tier 1
Paladin WotLK Changes
- Divine Plea – Now you gain 25% of your total mana over 15 sec (up from 10 sec), but the amount healed by your spells is reduced by 100% (up from 50%).
- Infusion of Light – Now your Holy Shock critical hits reduce the cast time of your next Holy Light spell by -0.50/-1 secs (down from -1.25/-2.5 sec).
- Judgements of the Pure – Now lasts 60 sec (up from 30 sec).
- Judgements of the Wise – Now immediately grants you 33% of your base mana (instead of 20% of your maximum mana).
Priest WotLK Changes
- Improved Inner Fire – Moved from Tier 3 to Tier 2.
- Improved Power Word: Fortitude – Moved from Tier 2 to Tier 3.
- Silent Resolve – Ranks 4 and 5 removed.
- Twin Disciplines – Now increases “damage and healing” instead of “spellpower”.
- Guardian Spirit – This sacrifice terminates the effect but heals the target of 50% of their maximum health. Up from 10%.
- Holy Nova – Mana cost reduced to 25% of base mana from 33% of base mana for higher ranks. Lower ranks also had a mana cost reduction.
- Devouring Plague – Amount of damage that heals you now specified, 15% of damage caused by the Devouring Plague heals the caster.
- Twisted Faith – Now works if your target is afflicted by your Shadow Word: Pain instead of Mind Flay.
Rogue WotLK Changes
- Focused Attacks – Your melee critical strikes have a 33/66/100% chance to give you 2 energy (up from 1).
- Gouge – Damage now scales with attack power.
- Aggression – Moved from Tier 5 to Tier 4. Now increases the damage of your Sinister Strike, Backstab, and Eviscerate abilities by 3/6/9/12/15% (up from 2/4/6/8/10%).
- Blade Twisting – Now also increases the damage dealt by Sinister Strike and Backstab by 5/10%.
- Vitality – Now regens 8/16/25% energy (up from 3/7/10%).
Shaman WotLK Changes
- Fire Nova Totem – Mana cost now 33% of base mana. (Old 26%)
- Fire Nova Totem – New ranks added. (Level 75 rank 8 – 755 to 843 damage) (Level 80 Rank 9 – 893 to 997 damage)
- Unleashed Rage – Now increases all attack power and has a 45 yard range.
- Dual Wield Specialization – Now increases your chance to hit while dual wielding by an additional 1/2/3% (down from 2/4/6%).
- Flurry – Attack speed increase lowered by 5% (Now 5/10/15/20/25) (Old 10/15/20/25/30).
- Stormstrike – 20% damage increase now only effects Nature spells.
- Maelstrom Weapon – Chance for buff to apply lowered, now can proc on any melee weapon hit (noncrit or crit). Duration increased to 30 seconds. (New 3/6/9/12/15) (Old 20/40/60/80/100)
- Spirit Wolves – Spirit Hunt – Duration removed.
- Improved Water Shield – Now works on Riptide Critical Hits.
- Ancestral Awakening – Now works on Riptide Critical Hits.
- Frost Resistance Totem – Duration fixed to be 5 minutes.
- Totem of Wrath – Duration fixed to be 5 minutes.
- Fire Resistance Totem – Duration fixed to be 5 minutes.
Warlock WotLK Changes
- Everlasting Affliction – Now Drain Life and Haunt will reset Corruption instead of Drain Life and Shadow Bolt.
- Drain Soul – Drains the soul of the target, causing 426 Shadow damage over 15 sec. If the target is at or below 25% health, Drain Soul causes four times the normal damage. If the target dies while being drained, and yields experience or honor, the caster gains a Soul Shard. Soul Shards are required for other spells.
- Curse of Doom – If the target yields experience or honor when it dies from this damage, a Doomguard will be summoned. Cannot be cast on players.
- Haunt – Now heals for 100% of damage done. Down from 200%.
- Enslave Demon – Lasts up to 60 sec. Down from 300 sec.
- Demonic Pact – Does not work on Enslaved demons.
- Chaos Bolt – Now does fire damage instead of chaos damage.
- Conflagrate – Now works with Shadowflame as well as Immolate.
Warrior WotLK Changes
- Sword Specialization – This effect cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds.
- Armored to the Teeth – Attack Power instead of Strength armor value require lowered. (Now 1/2/3 AP for every 180 armor.) (Old 1/2/3 strength for every 400 armor)
- Thunder Clap – Maximum targets removed.
- Revenge – Damage increased (Now Rank 9 – [1454.0 + AP * 0.207] to [1776.0 + AP * 0.207]) (Old Rank 9 – [652.0 + AP * 0.093] to [796.0 + AP * 0.093])
- Sword and Board – Now effects Revenge.
- Shield Slam – Damage increased (Now Rank 8 – 990 to 1040 damage) (Old Rank 8 – 756 to 794 Damage)
There’s been a lot of discussion recently regarding tanking, specifically how each tank in the WotLK will be able to effectively handle AoE pulls. Druids in particular are probably the worst off in this respect, but a major change to druid’s swipe ability should help quell some of these concerns.
Swipe Limit Removed – Ghostcrawler
We are going to remove the target limit on Swipe.
Swipe should not be limited by targets. This goes for Thunderclap too.
Any LK encounter really. We know the BC encounters were not designed to be tanked by any tank.
Nalorakk is the first boss of Zul’Aman and is known as the bear avatar of the dungeon. While it is the first encounter it is by no means an easy fight. More than anything is encounter requires both very attentive tanks and healers with quick reaction.
Bear Boss Strategy
Nalorakk has two forms, troll and bear. These two forms will alternate throughout the fight and require a separate tank for each stage. For simplicity purposes let’s go through all of the attacks you’ll be dealing with in each stage.
Brutal Swipe – This is a physical damage attack that deals 28,500-31,500 in a 180 degree cone in front of the boss. Now obviously this would be too much damage for even the best geared tanks, so it’s of utmost importance that both tanks stand on top of each other. This will split the damage between the tanks, making it a manageable amount for your healers to handle
Surge – The bear boss will charge a target, knocking them back and doing 3,700 to 4,300 damage. Nalorakk periodically will use this ability, typically on the ranged classes standing furthest away from him. For this reason it’s important healers stand between tanks and ranged DPS, so they can continue to heal without interruption.
Mangle – Causes all bleed effects to do 100% damage for 60 seconds. Only a factor between transitions, not much you can do it avoid this. If a tank gets mangled they should make certain to call it out in raid chat or on your voice communication server. This way healers can increase healing on that target in the event he gets hit by a lacerating slash or rend flesh.
Lacerating Slash – Causes the target to bleed for 1735 damage, ticks ever 2 seconds for a duration of 18 seconds.
Rend Flesh – Deals 5,525 to 7,475 physical damage and also applies a 2335 damage bleed, the bleed ticks every 1 second for 5 seconds. As I mentioned above, you need to be very aware of both of these bleed attacks. If you take a mangle and a bleed immediately after you’re going to be feeling it. Informing your healers immediately of these debuffs is crucial.
Deafening Roar – This ability will deal 1235 to 1365 to all members of your raid. Additionally, it also casts a 2 second silence on your raid. This is the major make or break point for the healers in your raid. Granted, 2 seconds is quite short, if a tank isn’t properly HoT’d up and is taking large amounts of damage they could easily die. The bear boss will roar twice during his bear phase, be aware of this and plan ahead.
Bear Boss Tanking Strategy
In order to properly tank the bear boss you will need two tanks, one of each of Nalorakk’s two phases. While any tanking class is capable of doing either phase it is preferential not to have a protection paladin tank the bear phase. This is due to the deafening roar ability, which will silence the paladin, preventing him from using his most potent threat producing abilities.
The most important aspect of this encounter revolves around the tanks maintaining proper positioning. If both tanks are not standing in front of the bear boss during a brutal swipe then the damage will not be split, likely killing the tank in one shot.
General Bear Boss Mechanics
The only other major point you’ll want to be aware of is the engage timer. Nalorakk will enrage after 10 minutes, that said, the only way you’d hit this timer is if your damage dealers were severely lacking. Just maintain the raid’s focus, settle in, and get done what has to be done.
Now, enough boring mechanics…onto the loot!
Bear Boss Loot
Badge of Justice (Drops 100% of the time, everyone in the raid gets one)
Fury of the Ursine
Bladeangel’s Money belt
Robes of Heavenly Purpose
Pauldrons of Primal Fury
Mask of Introspection
Formula: Enchant Weapon – Executioner