Blizzard will be continuing the trend of giving each profession it’s own perk with special abilities and BoP enchants, item enhancements, and items. Here is a summary of what we know so far:
Alchemy Profession Bonus Perks
- WotLK Flasks get 32 itemization points, elixirs get 16 points. Doubles duration on all flasks and elixirs.
- Using WotLK Flasks, gives 37 spellpower, 64 attack power, 13 MP5, or 320 health
- Crazy Alchemist’s Potion
- Alchemists can still transmute items on a daily cooldown
- Endless Mana Potion, Endless Healing Potion, and Endless Rejuvenation Potion
- Indestructible Alchemist’s Stone, Mercurial Alchemist’s Stone, and Mighty Alchemist’s Stone
- Alchemy discoveries are on a weekly cooldown – Northrend Alchemy Research – Spell – World of Warcraft
Leatherworking Profession Bonus Perks
- New WotLK drums are not in the spell database at the moment Current drums are unusable at level 80.
- Reduced cost on leg armor – does not give a special bonus
- Fur Lining – Enchantment on bracers. – fur lining – Wowhead Search – Gives a large stat boost over the equivalent enchant (+40 spell damage, +82 attack power). There’s also a stamina one for 90 stamina, but no stamina enchant yet. There is also resistances for fur linings, for an additional 60 resists.
Skinning Profession Bonus Perks
Mining Profession Bonus Perks
Herbalism Profession Bonus Perks
Enchanting Profession Bonus Perks
Jewelcrafting Profession Bonus Perks
- Dragon’s Eye gems – dragon’s eye – Wowhead Search
- A Jewelcrafter can have up to three Dragon’s Eye gems equipped. They can be the same or different. They act like every color of gem for socket bonuses and metagems.
- Ruby Hare, Emerald Board, Sapphire Owl, Twilight Serpent, and Monarch Crab
- Gem Perfection – Spell – World of Warcraft — A chance to craft green-quality gems into slightly better cuts. The gems produced will be in between uncommon and rare in stats.
- Jewelcrafting has its own set of dailies, with which rare gem recipes (5 tokens), metagem recipes (8 tokens), and Dragon’s Eyes (1 token) can be purchased. – Dalaran Jewelcrafter’s Token
Inscription Profession Bonus Perks
- Shoulder enchants – master inscription – Wowhead Search – Effectively a bonus of +37 spell power, 64 attack power, or 32 dodge rating over the epic version
- Tarot cards – can make cards to get items from the Darkmoon Faire. Implementation not yet known
- Inscription discoveries are on a daily cooldown – Northrend Inscription Research – Spell – World of Warcraft and Minor Inscription Research
Tailoring Profession Bonus Perks
- Lightweave Embroidery – Spell – World of Warcraft – 50% proc rate with 45 second cooldown
- Swordguard Embroidery – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Darkglow Embroidery – Spell – World of Warcraft – 35% proc rate with 75 second cooldown
- Four epic flying carpets and one regular version – carpet – Wowhead Search – acts exactly like a mount – Swift Flying Carpet
- Frostweave Net
- Reduced cost for spellthreads on armor
- Three transmutable cloths – Spellweave, Moonshroud – Spell – World of Warcraft , and Ebonweave – Spell – World of Warcraft
- A Guide to Northern Cloth Scavenging
Engineering Profession Bonus Perks
- Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Hyperspeed Accelerators – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Flexweave Underlay – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Nitro Boosts – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Personal Electromagnetic Pulse Generator – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Belt-Clipped Spynoculars – Spell – World of Warcraft
- Various goggles – Armored Titanium Goggle, Charged Titanium Specs, Electroflux Sight Enhancers, Greensight Gogs, Truesight Ice Enhancers, Visage Liquification Goggles, and Weakness Specrtalizers
- Bombs and decoys – Explosive Decoy, Saronite Bomb, Cobalt Frag Bomb, and Goblin Thermal Sapper Charge
- Gnomish Army Knife
- Trinkets – Gnomish Lightning Generator, Noise Machine, and Sonic Booster
- Portable mailbox and vendor – MOLL-E and Scrapbot Construction Kit
- Wormhole: Gadgetzan Group portal to Gadgetzan
Blacksmithing Profession Bonus Perks
Updated list of the new WotLK enchants. Some of these enchants don’t currently have their skill or materials known, but as soon as those details are known I’ll be updating this page.
With any expansion you can typically expect to see some additions and improvements to all the professions, but I’m particularly excited about the recent change to leatherworking. Several new recipes have already been confirmed to exist in beta, check them out below.
- Fur Lining – Attack Power — Permanently enchant bracers to increase attack power by 120. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Stamina — Permanently enchant bracers to increase stamina by 90. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Spell Damage — Permanently enchant bracers to increase spell power by 70. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Fire Resist — Permanently enchant bracers to increase your fire resistance by 60. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Frost Resist — Permanently enchant bracers to increase your frost resistance by 60. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Shadow Resist — Permanently enchant bracers to increase your shadow resistance by 60. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Nature Resist – Permanently enchant bracers to increase your nature resistance by 60. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
- Fur Lining – Arcane Resist — Permanently enchant bracers to increase your arcane resistance by 60. Can only be used on the leatherworker’s bracers, and doing so will cause them to become soulbound.
While it may seem like a small step it’s certainly a move in the right direction. Leatherworking is one of several professions that have been somewhat neglected. Generally speaking it’s these type of crafting professions that end up offering little to no benefit end game. These include tailoring, blacksmithing and leatherworking. This early leatherworking buff leads me to believe there will be similar changes in store for the all the other professions.
In Burning Crusade these crafting professions were great to have when you initially hit 70, but as soon as you get some of the even better armor and items these quickly become dated and worthless. Thus leaving with you a profession that amounted to basically nothing for the last 75% of the expansion. It will be difficult for Blizzard to create enough reason for me seriously consider going a crafting profession, but with additional benefits like this it certainly will peak my interest in the future. Hopefully we’ll see more of this.
Schools of thought for proper gem selection have basically completed a 180 degree turn from arena season one as compared to arena’s today. Previously, players were forced to gem very defensively, stacking stamina and resilience.
However, do to continued stat inflation, defensive stat stacking is no longer required. Without any defensive gems you can still sit comfortably at nearly 11,000 HP and 400 resilience unbuffed. This opened the door for rogues, allowing increased amounts of offensive stats to be gained and exploited, vastly increasing damage output.
Assuming you are using a complete set of PvP gear you’re sockets are going to look like this.
Helm – 2 sockets (1 meta, 1 red)
Necklace – 1 socket (1 yellow)
Shoulders – 2 sockets (1 yellow, 1 red)
Chest – 3 sockets (1 yellow, 2 red)
Bracer – 1 socket (1 yellow)
Total – 1 meta, 4 yellow, 4 red
In choosing your gems you will want to consider a few basic guidelines. First, try to get all of the socket bonuses, especially bonuses which offer additional offense. If you miss out on a resilience or stamina bonus, no big deal, but if you can pick it up without sacrificing your desire gem, go for it.
First and foremost we are going to want to get all 3 of the PvP gems. Beyond the fact that they do not cost you any gold, they are equivalent to Black Temple gems. These are an absolute must for every rogue.
Keep in mind, all of these gems are “unique-equip”. Meaning even if you currently are using them in gear, you can have extras sitting in your bank in preparation for the next season.
This immediately takes care of 3 of our 9 total gems we need.
From this point we have a few options, the most ideal and the path I strongly suggest is to purchase epic gems from your badge vendor on Sunwell Island. The gems are sold from Shaani, the jewelcrafting supplies vendor on the island.
While she sells all epic gems found in high end raiding instances, the one we are most concerned with is Crimson Spinel. The cost to acquire this gem is just 15 badges, and we are going to have it cut into a bright crimson spinel.
In reality, you may be done at this point. Get your 3 honor vendor gems, 5 crimson spinels, and your meta.
One socketing strategy I am contemplating is…
- Helm – 24 AP / Run speed meta + 1 Crimson Spinel
- Necklace – 1 Crimson Spinel
- Shoulders – 1 Bold Ornate Ruby + Smooth Ornate Dawnstone
- Chest – 2 Crimson Spinel + Inscribed Ornate Topaz
- Bracer – 1 Crimson Spinel
Socketing like this maximizes offensive stats and still picks up all but 2 of the socket bonuses (2 resilience and 3 HP, marginal increases at best).
For most rogues, the Swift Skyfire Diamond is going to be the best option. Having run speed on your helmet allows you to get surefooted enchant on your boots. Once again, we add offense without sacrificing too much defense.
Mutilate rogues should go with a Enignmaic Skyfire Diamond. This option is available due to the fleet footed talent that you have in the assassination tree. Stacking the talent, surefooted, and the meta allows you to have a 20% resistance to snare effects, which as you may already know is huge!
Poor / Lazy Man’s Version
The above gem selection will take time and a fair bit of gold to complete. So, in the event you do not have the badges or time to farm the honor, I’d suggest just socketing with bright living rubies in place of the crimson spinels.
For your yellow slots you can use wicked noble topaz