Looking for more amazing Ulduar strategies? Check out the complete Ulduar Boss Strategy Guide!
Hodir is the 11th boss encounter of Ulduar. He’s located in the Halls of Winter.
Hodir Boss Abilities
- Health Points: 25,000,000 (heroic), 8,400,000 (normal)
- Melee hits on plate for up to 25,000
- Biting Cold – Aura that stacks up, dealing frost damage. Move to dispel the DoT.
- Freeze - Deals 5,550-6,450 frost damage, immobilizing them for 10 seconds. 10 yard radius, dispellable.
- Flash Freeze – Freezes players in ice blocks, kill these ice blocks immediately. If a player is hit by a 2nd flash freeze they will die.
- Icicles - shards fall from the sky dealing a knockback and 12,000 frost damage to all players within the radius. These also create snowdrifts, which you can stand in to avoid being hit by flash freeze.
- Frozen Blows – self buff, adds 40,000 frost damage to all melee attacks and reduces physical damage by 70%.
Hodir Boss Strategy
Throughout the entire encounter you’ll need to constantly be moving to avoid biting cold. Periodically Hodir will randomly root a member of the raid, all players within a 10 yard radius will also be rooted. Stay spread out as much as possible to avoid large groups being rooted. Priests and paladins will need to be quick on their dispels here to avoid losing anyone.
Be watching for snowflakes pouring down from the ceiling, these indicate that icicles are about to fall. Anyone hit by these will take 12,000 frost damage and get knocked back.
Periodically Hodir will use frozen blows on himself. This essentially turns his damage from physical to frost. When this happens your frost resist tank needs to taunt. Healers should also be prepared to transition to the new tank. When frozen blows falls off the primary tank should taunt him back.
Finally, you’ll want to watch out for flash freeze. These are preceded by two icicles that create a snow mound. These mound of snow will protect the entire raid from being hit by the icicle. Anyone that doesn’t make it to the mound of snow should have their iceblock killed immediately to avoid death.
Hodir Hard Mode Boss Strategy
Defeat Hodir before he can shatter any of the chests in the room. The first chest is shattered at the 3 minute mark
Hodir Video Strategy (10 man)
Hodir Video Strategy (25 man)
Ulduar is blizzard’s newest instance creation and the first major patch development project for Wrath of the Lich King. This instance features some of blizzard’s finest design work and will certainly be one of the most challenging dungeons yet.
Ulduar is the first dungeon to be developed with various in-fight difficulty levels. Of course, there are normal and heroic (10 / 25 man) modes, but in addition many fights now have a “hard mode”. This works similar to the way Sartharion worked, with the addition of each drake ramping up the overall difficulty of the fight. All normal, heroic, and “hard mode” difficulties will be covered below in the individual ulduar boss strategies guides below.
Ulduar Boss Strategies