Make sure to check out the complete Naxxramas 10-Man Instance and Boss Strategy Guide.
Grobbulus is the second boss of the Abomination Wing in Naxxramas and is truly one of WoW’s most unique encounters.
- 2,900,000 HP
- Poison Cloud – Every 15 seconds Grobbulus drops a poison cloud. This cloud starts at around 3 yards and spreads to around 30, dealing 2000 DPS to anyone within the cloud.
- Slime Spray – Deals aprx. 7000 damage in a frontal cone. For each person hit by this slime a fallout slime will be created.
- Fallout Slime – Slime add spawned by Slime Spray. Has aprx. 75,000 HP, should be picked up by off tank and killed immediately by melee DPS.
- Mutilating Injection – This poison has a 10 second timer, at the end of the timer an initial 8,000-9000 damage nature damage explosion will be dealt in a 10 yard AoE followed by the creation of a poison cloud. These clouds start at around 3 yards and spread to around 30 and deal 2,000 poison damage to anyone standing within the cloud. Grobbulus will cast mutilating injection every 15-20 seconds.
- Berserk - Grobbulus will berserker enrage after the 6 minute mark, increasing his damage output by 1000%.
Grobbulus Boss Strategy
The entire Grobbulus strategy revolves around the mutilating injection ability. As Grobbulus loses more and more health he will use this ability more often, in order to effectively defeat this boss each person in the raid will need to be aware of this poison, when they get it, and the position they should take to deal with.
…what’s all that mean?
When you get the poison, you need to get as far away from the raid as possible. When you initially drop the cloud it’s no big deal, but as it spreads out there will be less room for you and your raid to work with, causing other players to possibly take damage from the slime cloud.
Dealing with Fallout Slime
Let’s start with the fallout slims. First, these globs are not difficult to kill and do not have much damage, but they will need your attention or they will become an issue if you get several up. It’s recommended that you put your off tank and 2 DPS on these globs. They die fairly quickly and shouldn’t detract too much from your overall DPS output.
Tanking is also fairly straight forward. The big thing will be movement and positioning (discussed below). You must always keep Grobbulus facing away from the raid, if several people in the raid get slimed…
- someone / some people will probably die
- you’re going to have more fallout slime than you can deal with
Additionally…and more importantly, as the fight wears on Grobbulus is going to continue to drop poison clouds on top of the melee DPS. You will need to continually pull Grobbulus away from these poison clouds so your melee DPS can continue attacking. Take a look at the diagram below to see a tank position rotation my guild uses.
Healing is also very simple. Grobbulus does not hit very hard at all, as I mentioned before this fight is all out the mutilating injection. So just make sure you heal up the person who got injected after they blow up and keep an eye on your tanks.
Dispeling Note: DO NOT DISPEL THE MUTILATE INJECTION. If you dispel the poison it will immediately drop where you dispelled it and AoE everyone around it. This WILL screw up your cloud position and cause many problems for you.
Poison Cloud Diagram
The following is the path my guild uses for tanking and poison cloud placement. You can use any method so long as it works for your group.
- Orange - Pull Grobbulus over by the stairs and start him along the back wall. Take him in a line all the way down the wall and up the other side.
- Purple - This is the initial drop zone rotation for the poison clouds. Take them about half way down the wall then start the green line.
- Green - This is the secondary drop zone rotation for poison clouds. Start your poison cloud at the edge of the very first drop by the meat wagon.