All us mages know that you’re only as good as your talent build, which is why having the right Frost Mage PvP build is so critical to your success in arena and battlegrounds. The big thing to remember with frost mage pvp is that it’s as much about survivability as it is damage. Don’t be afraid to use your offensive abilities for defensive purposes as well.
But above all, you’ve got to choose the right spec for your play style. You may find that your frost mage pvp build differs a little from the ones I’ve listed below, but it doesn’t meant they are any less effective.
Frost Mage Builds
The following are my top 2 frost mage builds. They are both mage pvp builds, so I wouldn’t recommend taking these anywhere other than arena or battlegrounds.
- 2 / 8 / 31 – Frost PvP Build with Impact
This first frost mage pvp build is the one I’m currently using. There’s a lot of potential variation in the way you use your points in the frost tree. If you’re doing a lot of battlegrounds and 5v5 arena piercing chill may be a better option for you, likewise if you find that you really never use flame orb you might use those 2 points in frostfire orb elsewhere. Don’t be afraid to play with the excess points in frost to build a spec that works for you. The nice that about this build is without question having impact. Being able to use it to stop casts, kite, and immobilize for DPS bombs is just huge, for these reasons it’s my current preferred mage pvp build.
This second frost mage pvp spec is the more traditional layout. You’ll get the full point layout in frost, but you do still have some flexibility to make it more suited for your playstyle. Having improved blink is certainly a nice addition. This is probably the more “traditional” frost build for level 85. Having impact is probably more an an arena benefit due to the RNG aspect involved, but that’s a determination you’ll have to make based on your individual needs.
All you mages out there that have been feverishly waiting for the first good PvP videos can rest easy tonight, the wait is finally over! A good friend of mine on Smolderthorn, Xtk, recently released his first 2v2 mage arena video with his partner, Xmo. The video is shot from Xmo’s PoV and features the duo against a wide variety of 2v2 teams. Both mages play the 20/0/51 frost talent build.
Overall I really enjoyed this video and feel that it gives and excellent overview of how to play the combo, and arena mage in general. That said…there were a few things that bothered me.
What Annoyed Me?
- To say the music was bad would just be inappropriate, the first track is the single worst song I’ve ever heard in a WoW video. The others weren’t much better, but at least they didn’t scream at me for a solid 4 minutes.
- In true Neilyo-esque fashion Xmo insists on the continual zoom in on the “impressive” stuff. This type of narcissistic and egotistical crap just flat out pisses me off. I don’t need a special close up on every God-forsaken iceblock and counterspell to “prove” that you’re good. In all honesty if the other mage in this video wasn’t my friend I would have turned it off immediately.
What were the pros?
- I loved the variability of teams and the overall excitement of each game. It was a great video to watch both from an educational and entertainment perspective.
- Great tempo throughout the video, once things actually got going it moved at a nice pace.
- Excellent introduction, really liked the music used here and crispness of each cut. Well done.
- Category: Arena PvP – 2v2
- Classes: Mage / Mage
- Talent Specs: Both Frost, 20/0/51
- Players: Xmo & Xtk
- Download: Filefront
- Stream: Below
Note from Author, Xmo:
Xmo and Xtk 2v2 Double Frost Mage Arena
Two Undead Males mindlessly zerging to extremely emo music.
****HIGHLY RECCOMEND DOWNLOAD****
All clips taken around 1700-1800 on BG1.
*At the time of rendering we were highest double frost mage in the world, this is no longer true.
*In no way do we think double frost mage is a great combo, it’s powerful but often extremely frustrating.
Start Something by Lost Prophets
I’m a Fake by The Used
Vitamin by Incubus
Madness6(Remix) by Cheshyre
Worth Dying For by Rise Against
Contact us on Smolderthorn realm forums for questions/comments.
Thanks for watching and enjoy.