All us mages know that you’re only as good as your talent build, which is why having the right Frost Mage PvP build is so critical to your success in arena and battlegrounds. The big thing to remember with frost mage pvp is that it’s as much about survivability as it is damage. Don’t be afraid to use your offensive abilities for defensive purposes as well.
But above all, you’ve got to choose the right spec for your play style. You may find that your frost mage pvp build differs a little from the ones I’ve listed below, but it doesn’t meant they are any less effective.
Frost Mage Builds
The following are my top 2 frost mage builds. They are both mage pvp builds, so I wouldn’t recommend taking these anywhere other than arena or battlegrounds.
- 2 / 8 / 31 – Frost PvP Build with Impact
This first frost mage pvp build is the one I’m currently using. There’s a lot of potential variation in the way you use your points in the frost tree. If you’re doing a lot of battlegrounds and 5v5 arena piercing chill may be a better option for you, likewise if you find that you really never use flame orb you might use those 2 points in frostfire orb elsewhere. Don’t be afraid to play with the excess points in frost to build a spec that works for you. The nice that about this build is without question having impact. Being able to use it to stop casts, kite, and immobilize for DPS bombs is just huge, for these reasons it’s my current preferred mage pvp build.
This second frost mage pvp spec is the more traditional layout. You’ll get the full point layout in frost, but you do still have some flexibility to make it more suited for your playstyle. Having improved blink is certainly a nice addition. This is probably the more “traditional” frost build for level 85. Having impact is probably more an an arena benefit due to the RNG aspect involved, but that’s a determination you’ll have to make based on your individual needs.
This mage AoE guide will detail the step by step methods and techniques we’re going to use to grind massive packs of mobs with AoE grinding. The most important factor in the success or failure of this mage AoE guide will be dependent on the frost mage talent build.
Frost Mage Build
We’ve got a couple of different options here, first the 13/0/48 frost mage build. This build will maximize your ability to effectivlely AoE kite and grind massive amounts of mobs down. Additionally, you may consider this variation of the above build, frost mage farming build.
For you players that want to do everything 100% by the book we are going to use a 18/0/43 frost mage spec. You could effectively grind with either of these talent specs, and the only real difference is you don’t have the single target / crit talents in the first build. Which, if we don’t really need for AoE grinding specifically since blizzard cannot crit.
Mage Grinding Guide
Okay, so now that we’ve got the frost mage build down let’s go through some of basic technique we’re going to be using.
- The Round Up – You’re going to want to stay on your mount for the round up. You’re essentially just running circles getting aggro on as many mobs as you feel comfortable handling. One technique I like to use here is using an ice block to allow mobs to catch back up to you. This will let you gather many more mobs.
- Ice Nova – Pretty simple here, use nova once you’ve got all of the mobs into a group. As soon as you nova you’ll want to blink away so we can start the blizzard.
- Blizzard – Once you’ve got range start casting your blizzard on top of the mobs you’ve got in a nova. As soon as you’ve got your first blizzard going queue up the next one, positioning each successive blizzard a few yards in front of the last.
- Clean Up – Your blizzard should kill most mobs, at this point you can simply drop another nova and frost bolt / ice lance / cone of cold the remaining mobs. If you still have a large number of mobs remaining simple go back up to step number 2.