So a lot of very interesting changes WotLK mage changes coming up. Netheara made a brief forum post detailing these changes that appeared in the most recent beta update. Generally speaking most of these changes are pretty tame talent tree movements, nothing ground breaking.
Though I really like what Blizzard is doing with blast wave, the addition of a knock back will certainly entise a large percentage of players to consider playing the spec. Overall, I really feel like this is Blizzard’s goal for mage talent specs.
Creating 3 equally viable talent trees, including both PvE and PvP considerations. If they can accomplish this feat by the Wrath of the Lich King’s release, then just well done.
- Arcane Fortitude moved to tier 2, increased to 3 ranks, now increases armor equal to 50/100/150% of Intellect.
- Arcane Subtlety now reduces the chance your spells will be dispelled by 15/35%, and no longer reduces the resistance of targets.
- Arctic Reach now also affects Deep Freeze.
- Blast Wave now knocks all affected targets back.
- Elemental Precision moved to tier 2.
- Empowered Fireball reduced to 3 ranks, now increases damage by 5/10/15% of spell power.
- Empowered Frostbolt reduced to 2 ranks, increases damage by 5/10% of spell power and increases critical hit chance by 2/4%.
- Flame Throwing moved to tier 3.
- Frost Channeling now reduces mana cost of all spells by 4/7/10%.
- Frost Warding now increases armor and resistances of Frost/Ice Armor by 25/50%, now gives Frost Ward and Fire Ward a 15/30/5 chance to negate damage caused and restore mana equal to damage caused by the warded spell.
- Ice Floes renamed Cold as Ice, now reduces cooldown of Cold Snap, Ice Barrier, Summon Water Elemental, and Deep Freeze by 10/20%.
- Improved Counterspell now always silences the target for 2/4 seconds.
- Improved Fire Blast moved to tier 1, reduced to 2 ranks, reduces the cooldown by 1/2 seconds.
- Improved Flamestrike moved to tier 2, renamed World in Flames, now increases the critical hit chance of Flamestrike, Blast Wave, Dragon’s Breath, Living Bomb, Blizzard, and Arcane Explosion by 2/4/6%.
- Improved Frost Nova renamed Ice Floes, moved to tier 1, increased to 3 ranks, now reduces cooldown of Frost Nova, Cone of Cold, Ice Block, and Icy Veins by 7/14/20%.
- Magic Absorption reduced to 2 ranks, increases resistances by .5/1 point per level, and restores 1/3% of total mana on a resist.
- Master of Elements now affects all spell criticals.
- Mind Mastery reduced to 3/6/9/12/15%.
- Molten Shields now gives Fire Ward and Frost Ward spells a 15/30% chance to reflect the warded spell.
- Prismatic Cloak (Arcane) increased to 3 ranks for 1/2/3% and now also reduces the fade time of Invisibility by 1/2 seconds.
- Pyroblast cast time has been reduced to 5 seconds.
- Shatter no longer has a prerequisite.