Make sure to check out the complete Naxxramas 10-Man Instance and Boss Strategy Guide.
Anub’Rekhan is the 1st boss of the spider wing located in Naxxramas. In my opinion this is one the easiest fights in Naxxramas, which makes the spider wing a greater location for new guilds to start their Naxxramas learning curve.
- 2,200,000 Health
- Impale – Impales a random player in the raid, which sends all players in a small AoE line around that player flying up. Deal 4800-6200 damage and drops you from a height which will deal 50% fall damage.
- Locust Swarm – Casts every 1-2 minutes. Anub’Rekhan casts locust swarm that deals AoE damage around his model. Those caught in the radius will have a DoT applied that deals 875-1125 nature damage every 2 seconds and silences. The locust swarm also reduces his movement ability to 75%. During the locust swarm an elite crypt guardian will also spawn. Locus swarm lasts 16 seconds.
- Summon Corspe Scarab - Anub’Rekhan can summon scarabs from any corspe, both player and crypt guardian . This is random, he won’t always spawn scarabs, but can.
I go into greater depth of each individual class types role below, but here’s a quick breakdown of each sequential step.
- Main tank leads charge and takes Anub’Rekhan to the back of the room.
- DPS and Healers take up positions as indicated on map below.
- Be prepared for impale as they may occur at any moment (though never during locust swarm)
- Locust swarm starts, tank must kite around the perimeter of the room and take Anub’Rekhan to the other side.
- As soon as the locust swarm starts a crypt guardian (elite spider) will spawn and needs to be picked up by your off tank. These should be immediately killed by your DPS.
- After locust swarm stops and the crypt guardian is dead you can resume DPS on Anub’Rekhan.
- At this point be prepared for impale again and a new abililty, summon corspe scarab. Since a crypt guardian body is now on the floor Anub’Rekhan may choose to summon scarabs from the body.
- Continue DPS until dead. You may have to complete another locust swarm rotation back to the top of the map if your DPS is not sufficient.
Tanking Anub’Rekhan and Position
Generally speaking, this is another standard tank and spank style fight. The only odd mechanic of Anub’Rekhan revolves around the locust swarm. During the locust swarm no one can be around Anub’Rekhan, the DoT just deals too much damage for anyone…both tank or otherwise to be near. For this reason we have to temporarily kite Anub’Rekhan.
My guild’s solution to this problem was simply to kite him around the perimeter of the circle to the other side of the room (as indicated on the map below). By the time you get the other side of the room the locust swarm should be down and you can continue tanking Anub’Rekhan like normal.
If you have a hunter in the group you should use his aspect to assist the tank’s running speed during this phase. It’s not require, not it will dramatically help your tank make an easy kite and transition through this phase.
Off Tanking Crypt Guardians
In addition to a main tank you’ll need an off tank who can pickup the crypt guardians when they spawn during the locust swarm. These crypt guardians do not hit all that hard, but they must be off tanked and killed immediately. Make sure you pull the crypt guardians far enough away from Anub’Rekhan that you are not getting hit by the locust swarm.
Healing on Anub’Rekhan is not all that difficult either. There are a few things we really need to watch out for though.
- Impale - As soon as the impale goes off you need to be trying to heal your raid and get everyone topped off. If possible heal the lowest HP players while they are still in the raid, you don’t want to lose someone via the impale.
- Locust Swarm – While no one should be ever getting hit by this ability sometimes it does happen, players who get hit should be calling out on vent so you know they are going to be in trouble for a while. You can heal through this ability, though it will be somewhat mana heavy.