Naxxramas 10-Man Instance Guide & Boss Strategies

Naxxramas is an instance that was once located in the Eastern Plaguelands, but for the WotLK expansion it has been re-tuned and moved to Northrend. The instance is now floating above eastern Dragonblight and can be completed by 10 or 25-man groups by playing on normal or heroic modes, respectively.

The instance features four main wings (listed below). The wings may be completed in any order and are required in order to advance to the final wing, Frostwyrm Lair. Frostywyrm Lair holds the instance’s final 2 bosses.

Naxxramas is considered an entry level dungeon for Wrath of the Lich King, in being such it’s certainly more on the easy side. New level 80 players will find it an excellent challenge and place to hone their skills.

Abomination Wing

Spider Wing

Military Wing

Plague Wing

Frostwyrm Lair

New strategies will be added in the coming days.

1. Naxxramas in Wrath of the Lich King
  2. The Violet Hold Instance Guide
  3. Site News and Upcoming Guide Dates
  4. WotLK Zone and Instance Exploration Video
  5. Late Night Blue Posts – WotLK Class Changes and Boss Armor

Comments

13 Responses to “Naxxramas 10-Man Instance Guide & Boss Strategies”

1. Graves on November 26th, 2008 11:33 am

The last thing I would call naxx is a “challenge”, but it is pretty damn fun for such a cakewalk instance. We went in there for the first time last night, only a few of us with naxx 60 experience, and cleared out 3 wings. doing the rest tonight.

Good strats too. keep em up

2. Zuggy on November 26th, 2008 4:33 pm

Well..I suppose challenge might not have been the right word, but for someone who completed the dungeon at 60 like myself, you have a distinct advantage over new players.

Even with the re-tuned encounters, most of the bosses are basically the same thing. Either way, it’s a great instance. My guild has been loving every minute of it.

…on a brief sidenote, while I initially suggested this should be a 3 healer instance I’m not so sure anymore. Last night we cleared the entire instance with 2 restoration shamans and had no problems. With a bit of Naxx / heroic gear I think you can clear it duo-healer easy enough.

3. Booka on December 2nd, 2008 4:33 pm

Just wanted to say Thanks for the Boss Strats. They are easy to understand. None of my guild members have any lvl 60 Naxx exp so all of the fights are new to us and since we havent started yet as being the MT of the guild its nice for me to be able to brush up on the strats so our first attempts go smoother. So again thank you!

4. Zuggy on December 2nd, 2008 4:42 pm

You’re more than welcome, Booka. Glad they are helpful. You can expect to see the remainder of the Naxx boss strategies up in the next few days.

5. Crappyminti on December 2nd, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks heaps for these. Very easy to understand, and for someone who has never been to naxx and isn’t sure what to expect, the diagrams are quite helpful.

I look forward to reading more :)

6. Telen on December 8th, 2008 1:59 pm

Thank you so much for this great guide, simple yet enough detail to get the important points across. Great diagrams and videos.

I have required this reading for my guild before our first raid on naxx in the coming week. It would be interesting to see what kind of important stats you might require before heading into naxx…

Look forward to more guides

7. Zuggy on December 8th, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey Telen, thanks for the kind words. As far as important stats are concerned that’s pretty tough to say…

when my guild started the 10-man naxx we essentially had no gear what so ever. On my shaman I hit 80 around 6:00 pm friday night a few weeks ago, went to Org to buy mana potions then went to naxx at 6:30, we cleared to saph our first night.

Gear really isn’t the issue, I would say more importantly would be the following list…

1. Come with the correct PvE spec, no pvp or leveling specs for your first few clears.
    2. Bring consumables, potions, flasks, weapon buffs, food, etc.
    3. Be focused and prepared, make sure the entire raid understands the mechanics of each boss fight.
    4. Bring a solid raid make up: 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 DPS. After you’ve geared up a bit 2 healers can handle most every fight in Naxx, but for the first few clears I recommend using 3 healers.

8. Menagus on December 8th, 2008 4:03 pm

Those points are pretty much right, Zuggy, especially the focus factor, and the PvE specs. Make sure all of your guildies have a good spec for their gear, and read up on rotations. Should make everything a lot easier.

Telen, as long as your guild isn’t in full greens or something (mix of quest/dungeon/heroic blues), the first 2 wings (Spider and Plague) should be simple. Patchwerk will end up being a healer check, and if you have problems with that fight, it’s probably due to the healing, rather than the dps. Let me know if your healers have problems and I should be able to help with what they’re doing. It’s mechanically a much different fight for healing than basically any fight you’ve ever seen.

After patchwerk, everything up to saph is just a “raid isn’t stupid” check. Sapphiron is extremely difficult for most undergeared guilds, because of the intensity it puts on healer’s mana. That would be the fight where people may need to get some more gear before you kill it.

If you’re able to kill Patchwerk, you’ll be able to clear the rest of Naxx, it’s as simple as that. Don’t try to stay in there too long on your first night if you’re wiping repeatedly on something, rather, take a break and come back the next day.

9. Marasume on January 23rd, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks for this written strategy guide. I am the raid leader for my guild, and some of my guildies do not like to listen. They try to do their own thing during raids. The first time I was in Naxxramas it was a full clear in which I pugged the group with a high end guild on my server. Main tanked the whole way up to Kel when my net failed me and we had the first wipe. I can’t figure out why my guildies cannot figure out how to do the fights, but I am hoping this guide will help if I can get them to read it since I doubt they would watch it. Well, there is that option too here. Thanks again!

10. Zuggy on January 23rd, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Marasume. I hope my guides are helpful to both you and your guild mates.

11. Ama on January 23rd, 2009 4:59 pm

Zuggy, thank you so much for your strategy guide. I read probably 4 of them before I got to yours & found it to be the easiest to understand and the most helpful, especially especially especially for healers (who are sadly often left out of the explanations in most guides).

I do not want to appear like a complete newb tonight when I go into Naxx for the first time. I read & took notes & really feel like I should be okay. I can only hope that all the people I go with have also read this guide. <3 <3 <3

Many kisses.

12. Zuggy on January 23rd, 2009 5:05 pm

Thanks ama, gotta send out love for all the healers out there! I’m sure you’ll do great during your Naxx raid.

13. Vremedy on September 17th, 2009 6:02 pm

Very helpful for new guilds, i’ve used this guide and lead a guild through their first naxx clearings, and now im hoping to be able to help a second. /thumbsup