Honor Points Will NOT Be Reset in WotLK

Wow…simply wow, I cannot believe what I’m reading. Bornakk shocked everyone with this…

We had hoped that the introduction of some new Honor rewards in the upcoming patch would give players a great opportunity to spend any of their remaining Honor. However, many players would still be surprised by an Honor and token reset as it isn’t something we’ve done in the past. As such, we’ve decided to not reset Honor or tokens upon the release of Wrath of the Lich King. Players who save their Honor will be able to spend it on level 80 rewards, although those rewards will be significantly more expensive than their level 70 counterparts.

This is just seems insane to me, especially after Blizzard already officially announced the honor points and tokens WOULD reset, citing several valid reasons for this change. I agreed with much of their reasoning and really do not understand why they would choose to pull a complete 180 and decide to now not reset.

Especially considering many players have already gone out and purchased other honor items they might not have upon the early announcement that points were resetting. Major /fail for Blizzard on this one.

1. Honor Points to Reset to 0 in WotLK
  2. WotLK Arena Change
  3. New honor items coming in 3.0 patch
  4. Scouge Invasion Event for WotLK Announced!
  5. Season 4 Start Date Announced

Comments

10 Responses to “Honor Points Will NOT Be Reset in WotLK”

1. Thjasse on October 1st, 2008 8:52 am

If thats the case are Honor rewards at lvl 80 going to cost more? If thats the case will we recieve more honor if we PvP at lvl 80 as opposed to farming honor now at lvl 70 in preperation for WoTLK? And have there been any Blue Posts about how much Season 5 Arena gear and Honor rewards will cost?

2. Zuggy on October 1st, 2008 8:57 am

1) I doubt honor gear will cost any more honor, current honor rewards will likely be reduced / removed just like they did in TBC.

2) I doubt you’ll receive any more honor, note the above reasoning

3) No, there have been no posts regarding values of honor or arena gear.

3. Sammy on October 1st, 2008 9:26 am

Zuggy i have always liked you site and valued what you had to say. But if you think that over 2000 complaints on the wow forums in less then 2 days and the cancellation of accounts was not enough for blizz to turn this around then I think you missed something. I don’t want to turn your site into the forums, but Blizz never should have done this in the first place that was the true /fail. LOL this game is so broken.

4. Erk on October 1st, 2008 9:36 am

“Players who save their Honor will be able to spend it on level 80 rewards, although those rewards will be significantly more expensive than their level 70 counterparts.”

It sounds like this means that level 80 gear will cost a lot more honor. I would not be surprised to see Blizzard split the difference and raise the honor cap at level 80, maybe even doubling or tripling it so that at level 80 saving a full cap worth of honor from level 70 will not get you that far ahead.

5. Zuggy on October 1st, 2008 10:58 am

@Sammy, honestly I hadn’t seen the forum complaints. I saw this pretty late last night so didn’t look much into the backlash. While the forum complaints are a valid point they should be taken with a grain of salt.

The forum “community” in WoW rarely represents the view of the overall population. For as many negative comments as I see in this thread

There are just as many positive comments who are glad Blizzard reversed the change. I won’t disagree that it was a poor decision to reverse the change, but there’s not much they can do about it at this point.

Regardless, I don’t think a few squeaky wheels on the forums will lead to the downfall of WoW.

6. Erk on October 1st, 2008 12:02 pm

I’d also like to add that less than 10% of people who go on the forums claiming they are going to cancel their accounts if x or y doesnt get changed would actually ever go through with it. There are a lot of prepubescent kiddos crying out for attention all over the internet, and the Blizzard forums are no exception.

Personally, I didn’t think that it was a good idea to consider resetting honor points with the expansion. However, it was something I was going to live with (and I was going to lose about 32000 honor had they not reversed their decision;) in the end, if you like battlegrounds, then you do a lot of them and save up honor points. There’s no real reason for people to farm honor for level 80 at level 70., particularly if they hate doing them.

7. Menagus on October 1st, 2008 2:11 pm

The overall problem with this is that they definitively said they were resetting honor, then reneged on their original decision and changed it. Either way would have been fine with me, but because of how they did this, many people just blew their honor points on random stuff and essentially lost tens of thousands of honor points.

What should have happened was that a blue should have posted that they were thinking of resetting the honor, and seen the reactions. Obviously, almost everyone hated it, so they more than likely would have ended up just keeping it the way it currently is.

On a side note, all of the really good pvp gear in WOTLK requires arena points, so saving up all these honor points isn’t going to be as big of a deal as many people made out.

8. Blakmajik on October 21st, 2008 9:00 pm

Ok, I just got done reading a WoW forum post with several people complaining if blizz would reset honor. I’m sure a lot of people did not want Blizz to reset honor because they didn’t when BC first came out. There’s a one word answer for these people: Change.

If you download Atlas loot, you can see what the requirements are for the PvP gear. It’s roughly 12k honor for the chest, 700 arena points, and marks of something. Arena points are always reset once a new season comes out, and the expansion is adding a new arena season (S5). Even if you did save up your honor, you’d have to arena.

Also, a lot of people say that’s a terrible idea because arena is beat and the system is broken. While I hate arena now, there’s a reason for that. When I play along side someone and we both have mediocre PvP gear, yes it’s unfair that we may play people in 4/5 brutal when we have a bad rating. But if they did what many of the people who DON’T want the reset and said “Hey, you can buy all the gear you want at 80,” then the exact same thing will happen. People will get instant gear, arena will be stupid, and no one will arena.

As for changing their minds, welcome to the world of human beings. People change their minds constantly. Besides, for the people who complain if Blizzard would reset honor, that’s only what another person said was 2,000 people. That’s 2,000 out of 10,000,000 (.02%) of the wow population. Such a small fraction shouldn’t make the difference.

Personally, I think it’s intelligent that Blizzard made it so you have to have some arena points to get any of the good PvP gear at 80. This means that the honor stockpilers won’t have to farm honor, but they can’t automatically get gear and make arena stupid.

9. Brian on November 13th, 2008 5:33 pm

Man, I spent 30k hononr last night and converted marks.. now they say it’s not being reset? fucking hell man… right now this sux, but I am sure in few weeks, no one will remeber all of this haha

10. Erk on November 13th, 2008 9:04 pm

They announced a month or two ago that they were not going to remove honor. It is not a recent announcement.