Rogue Macro Guide

If you’re looking for useful macros as a rogue then you’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll find a list of best and most effective macros for World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. These are likely to be different to those you’d find at somewhere like the PartyPoker site. Many are designed for PvP and arena, though they can be used just as effectively in PvE or raiding environments.

If you’re looking for focus macros head over here, rogue focus macros.

rogue macro guideUseful Macros for Rogues

Start Attack + Primary Attack

/startattack
/cast Sinister Strike

Basic and essential way to start auto attacking. Change sinister strike to what ever your main attack is (hemo, backstab, etc.)

Trinket + DPS Macro

/startattack
/use 13
/cast Sinister Strike

Standard usage of a trinket with your primary attack. Remember, “13″ is your top trinket slot.

Add Riposte to Rotation

/startattack
/castrandom sinister strike, riposte

Not a 100% way, but if you are spamming your main attack key this is a great way to get those ripostes into your DPS without having to watch for it.

Ghostly Strike + Sinister Strike Combo

/startattack
/castrandom sinister strike, ghostly strike

Spamable way to get ghostly strikes in your rotation without worrying about it.

Blind Mouse Over Macro

/cast [target=mouseover,exists,harm,nodead][harm,nodead] Blind

Casts blind on your primary target, unless you have a mouse over target, in which case they will be your blind. Great way to get more out of your blind without having to drop target.

One Button Coldblood then Eviscerate

/cast cold blood
/stopcasting
/cast eviscerate

Simple enough, uses coldblood and eviscerate immediately after. Another great way to help reduce key clicks.

Premeditation + Cheap Shot

/cast Premeditation
/stopcasting
/cast Cheap Shot

You can also change cheap shot to any other opener. Great to build the extra combo point without even thinking.

Auto Pick Pocket + Cheap Shot

/cast Pick Pocket
/stopcasting
/cast Cheap Shot

You’ll need to turn on auto loot in the interface options for this to work properly. Also, you can change cheap shot to any other opener.

Spamable DPS with Trinket Combo

#show Sinister Strike
/startattack
/use [combat] Bloodlust Brooch
/cast [nostealth] Stealth
/cast [combat] Sinister Strike

Change “Sinister Strike” with what ever your current main attack is and also change “Bloodlust Brooch” to your current trinket

Trinket + Blade Flurry + Adrenaline Rush

/startattack
/use Bloodlust Brooch
/castrandom Blade Flurry, Adrenaline Rush

Change “Bloodlust Brooch” to your current trinket

Stop Attack Before Vanish

/stopattack
/cast Vanish

Helps reduce the chance that you’ll knock yourself out of stealth after vanishing

Use 3 Poisons

#show Vengeful Gladiator’s Bonecracker
/equipslot 17 Vengeful Gladiator’s Bonecracker
/cast shiv

and

#show Merciless Gladiator’s Shanker
/equipslot 17 Merciless Gladiator’s Shanker
/cast shiv

Change the weapon names to your current 3 weapons you are using, then simply setup the poisons you want. Main Hand, Off Hand 1, and Off Hand 2

Deadly Throw / Throw Combo

#show Deadly Throw
/cast Deadly Throw
/cast Throw

Macro that casts deadly throw on the target if you have combo points.  If no combo points are present the macro will cast throw on the target.

Tricks of the Trade Macro

/cast [target=Focus] Tricks of the Trade

This macro will casts Tricks of the Trade on your focus target.  If you replace “Focus” with the name of a tank you want to cast Tricks on you can free up your focus for something else.

Cooldown Burn for Preparation

#showtooltip  Preparation
/cast shadowstep
/cast sprint
/cast [nostealth] Evasion
/cast Preparation

This macro will cast Evasion, Sprint, and Shadowstep before casting Preparation.  This only works if you have not used one or all of the above spells.

Win the Stealth Opener Battle

#showtooltip Sap
/console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/console targetNearestDistance 14.000000
/cast [harm,nodead] Sap

This macro helps when fighting for a Sap opener against another stealthed class.

1. Priest / Rogue vs. Shadow Priest / Rogue 2v2 Arena Strategy
  2. Rogue Focus Macros
  3. Rogue / Priest 2v2 Arena Strategy Breakdown (Video)
  4. Priest / Rogue vs. Warlock / Rogue 2v2 Arena Strategy
  5. Priest / Rogue vs. Druid / Warrior 2v2 Arena Strategy

Comments

66 Responses to “Rogue Macro Guide”

1. dlramos on July 10th, 2008 3:15 pm

Hello there mate, i was wondering a thing about that weapon swaping macro, what do you want me to write exactly and how / how many macros, i use Merciless sword in MH and Merciless mace in OH, for the swap im using merciless shiv in OH

2. Zuggy on July 10th, 2008 4:21 pm

You’re basically creating 2 macros. This isn’t really a weapon swap macro in the traditional sense, but a swap macro that allows you to use 2 different off hand poisons ( so long as you have 2 different off hands).

Your first macro should read like this…

/equip Merciless Gladiator’s Bonecracker
    /cast shiv

the second macro should read like this…

/equip Merciless Gladiator’s Shiv
    /cast shiv

Now, for this to work you’ll want to have one poison, probably crippling on your bonecracker, and another poison…say mind numbing on your shiv.

This will allow you to always have wound on the MH, and use other situational poisons when necessary.

3. ygg on July 11th, 2008 11:44 am

Sorry to disturb guys, but could any of you tell me if it’s possible to make a macro with shadow step, premeditate and embush, cause i must be the last stupid man on this earth and i can’t find the way to write it..

Thanks a lot

4. Zuggy on July 11th, 2008 3:38 pm

/castsequence Shadowstep, Premeditation, Ambush

that should work for your purpose.

5. ecko on July 13th, 2008 2:17 pm

hey zuggy i was wondering if there was a way to set a hot key to switch through the combat pages and if so what do you recommend?

6. Zuggy on July 13th, 2008 4:06 pm

/swapactionbar 1 2

this will swap between these 2 pages, if you are on page number 1 it will swap it page 2, if you are on 2 it will swap to 1. If you are on anything other than the pages specificed it will swap to the first of the two pages listed.

Simply create a macro for all the pages you’d like.

You can also use this version of the macro.

/changeactionbar 1

For example, maybe you want to bring up all your frost spells every time you sheep as a mage (stupid example, but never the less)

/cast Polymorph
    /changeactionbar 2

Casts poly, then changes the bar.

Hope one of these two work for you.

7. ecko on July 13th, 2008 6:35 pm

hey zuggy thanks for the advice, it work out great. now i have another question about using bladefist trinket along with sinister strike but stop the annoying noise that plays because the trinket isn’t ready ! any suggestion, i know there is a mod but i was hoping there was another way.

8. Zuggy on July 13th, 2008 7:19 pm

Here you go

/use Bladefist Breath
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /cast Sinister Strike

9. ecko on July 14th, 2008 4:31 am

hey zug me again, sorry to tell you that didnt fix the noise coming across! Any other idea deals of fixing the problem would be great, maybe a way to tell not to active until it has cooldown

10. Zuggy on July 14th, 2008 4:19 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I believe what you’re looking for is the error speech.

Options–>Sound & Video–> then under play back, de-select “Error Speech.

As far as disabling the little clicky sound it makes I’m not sure, I’ll ask around to some of my guys and see if they have any idea.

11. ecko on July 15th, 2008 2:06 am

no that isn’t it and i don’t no if there is away to make it go away but it is a swooshing sound that my trinket makes when it isn’t ready. so when you do find something any advice would be great. thanks for the reminder about error speech, i had forgotten all about it.

12. Zuggy on July 15th, 2008 4:18 am

unfortunately I don’t know of any way to turn off that clicky sound you get when you press trinket and it’s not up, I’ll look around a bit…but I’m not sure you could do it without mod intervention.

13. ecko on July 15th, 2008 8:03 pm

hey zug know any why to use eviscerate and envenom on same macro but only have the envenom activate if there is deadly poison applied and eviscerate when
    it isn’t

14. Zuggy on July 15th, 2008 9:00 pm

/cast Envenom
    /stopcasting
    /cast Eviscerate

15. S-Scythe on July 16th, 2008 12:36 am

ecko the macro you’re looking for requires a complex variable, I’m not sure if we can help you with exactly that, but you can make a modifier button like shift, alt or control so that you’ll do envenom instead of eviscerate

16. Zuggy on July 16th, 2008 2:25 am

you don’t need a variable, since envenom won’t do anything by default and it should skip directly to evis.

But like Scythe said you could do something like this…

/cast [modifier:shift] Envenom; Eviscerate

17. ecko on July 17th, 2008 3:01 am

ok thanks guys i’ll try it out cause the
    /cast Envenom
    /stopcasting
    /cast Eviscerate
    didn’t work so i try it the other way

18. Zuggy on July 17th, 2008 3:03 pm

keep in mind the other macro I listed there is a modifier macro, requiring the shift + click to active envenom.

19. Nepharion on August 19th, 2008 3:41 pm

Is there no way of having a macro that just equips another offhand, casts shiv. and then back to original offhand again (with only 1 push)

would like an answer at jamenfrede(at)hotmail.com since i dont read this blog that much

20. Zuggy on August 19th, 2008 4:26 pm

No, Nepharion. You cannot have a button macro that swaps and shivs due to the fact that swapping weapons activates your GCD, which in turn is the reason you must click the macro more than once.

I could help make you a macro that completes this function in a couple of clicks, but I’m not going to send a personalized macro via email for someone who doesn’t “read this blog that much”.

21. Iktomi on August 26th, 2008 7:59 am

Zug and Co,

Love your site guys – I have no idea how I haven’t come across this sooner.

I’ve been a long time PvEer, who is so in love with trying to get a set of S3 swords that I’m going to try to push 2s with a disc priest (also equally PvP noobish) from 1500-1800.

I’ll be putting to the idiot-test everything you guys have written – if I can get 1800, then decent PvPers should be able to get a drake using this info.

22. Zuggy on August 26th, 2008 12:01 pm

Glad you found us! Make sure you check out my priest / rogue 2v2 guide, should give you a good place to start your arena experience!

23. Iktomi on August 26th, 2008 10:37 pm

Actually, it was your priest-rogue 2′s guide that I found first ;).

I like the fact that you show an alternative build (namely, Combat) – I’m far more used to playing it. It’s a refreshing difference to the “ShStep or Bust” mentality I normally see flying around.

Cheers chaps :)

24. Soarian on September 11th, 2008 6:23 pm

Zug,
    I have been trying to get teh following to work, and either AR or BF will activate, but not both. I even flipped BF and AR, still a no go.

/startattack
    /use Abacus of Violent Odds
    /castrandom Blade Flurry, Adrenaline Rush

25. S-Scythe on September 11th, 2008 7:38 pm

In my experience I had
    /castrandom Blade Flurry, Adrenaline Rush before
    /use *Insert Offensive Trinket here*

If that doesn’t work, I wouldn’t find the /startattack part necessary as you can take care of that in a simple right-click.

26. Zuggy on September 11th, 2008 7:52 pm

..well, i’m not exactly sure what to tell you here. I just tested the following macro (sorry I’m not currently combat).

/startattack
    /use 13
    /castrandom Sinister Strike, Hemorrhage

and it worked perfectly, just double check your spelling, generally that’s what most errors are centered around.

27. Zatyr on September 23rd, 2008 10:45 am

i just want to say zuggaming helped me a lot to understand the rogue class, thank you guys now my rogue experience and skilled have improved a lot

just imagine that i learned about macros and mouseover here ;D

28. Zuggy on September 23rd, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks, Zatyr! Glad to help.

Make sure you check out the rogue focus macros too…trust me, if you can really get comfortable with them you’ll wonder how you ever got by without them.

29. zet on September 30th, 2008 6:08 pm

hey any chance u can have 2 weapon switches in the same macro, for eg.
    equiping a offhand then re equipping the offhand i have just replaced.

thanks

30. Zuggy on September 30th, 2008 6:16 pm

not without requiring multiple clicks, Zet.

31. zet on October 1st, 2008 6:52 am

yea thats how i want it. when i have a dagger equipped the macro equipps the mace, when i have mace equipped it equips the dagger.
    binded in 1 macro, is that possible zug?

32. Zuggy on October 1st, 2008 11:09 am

I’ve tested a few different things out and I don’t really think there’s anyway you can do what you want without getting some sort of addon involved. I would suggest just creating 2 macros, one for your mace / dagger combo and one for your dagger / mace combo.

33. Titan on December 24th, 2008 2:06 pm

I took the idea for the cold blood/eviscerate macro and attempted to apply it to a cheapshot/slice and dice and it didn’t work. Is there a pause command for macros that allows for the combo points to be added to the target before it goes off or is this an unattainable macro?

34. Zuggy on December 24th, 2008 2:55 pm

The reason your CS / SND macro isn’t working is due the activiation of the global cooldown, which doesn’t apply to cold blood. While I’m not really sure why you would ever want to use this macro as your CS should only be on your stealth bar (unless you were spec’d deep sub) the following macro should work for what you’re trying to do.

/castsequence cheap shot, slice and dice

35. Titan on December 24th, 2008 4:21 pm

It’s more or less a low lvl PvP macro I’m trying to create being combat with imp slice/dice.

36. Zuggy on December 24th, 2008 5:08 pm

let me know if that castsequence macro works for you, if it doesn’t I’ve got some other ideas we might try.

37. Titan on December 25th, 2008 11:29 am

The problem that occurred with the castsequence macro is that I can’t use it twice as the stealth bar changes to the combat bar and unless I ‘click’ it on another actionbar it won’t work.

38. Zuggy on December 26th, 2008 12:51 am

i really don’t understand the purpose at all for this macro, seems like you could just have cheap shot on the stealth bar and in the same position put snd on your combat bar and get the desired reaction.

you could use this, but it’s going to complete essentially the same function.

/cast [stealth] Cheap Shot; Slice and Dice

39. Odin on March 26th, 2009 7:58 am

I have been trying to do a simple weapon swap macro but I cannot seem to get it to work. Here is what I got.

16 = MH, 17 = OH

Macro #1:
    /equipslot 16
    /equipslot 17
    /cast ambush
    /stopcasting

Then my follow up macro switches it back:
    /equipslot 16
    /equipslot 17
    /cast sinister strike
    /stopcasting

this is exactly how it put into the two button macro..what am I doing wrong?

40. Odin on March 26th, 2009 8:01 am

it did not show it in my last post but I did have the wepon names in there:

Macro #1
    Assassin’s Blade in oh, and Shadowfang in MH to start, hit macro it puts Assassin’s blade in MH and Shadowfang in OH, then casts ambush.

Macro#2
    Assassin’s Blade in mh, and Shadowfang in oH to start, hit macro it puts Assassin’s blade in oH and Shadowfang in mH, then casts sinister strike.

41. Zuggy on March 26th, 2009 11:09 am

@odin – i’m not sure what to tell you, both of those macros look correct. I just created 2 macros on my rogue of a similar nature and they both work fine. I imagine you’ve just got something misspelled or a typo…do note that you do not need a stop casting at the end of the macro.

here’s what i had

/equipslot Name of Dagger 16
    /equipslot Name of Sword 17
    /cast Backstab

/equipslot Name of Sword 16
    /equipslot Name of Dagger 17
    /cast Sinister Strike

42. dhero on June 10th, 2009 11:50 am

I can across your website trying to update this macro but i fear it has been nerfed any alternatives you can suggest ?

/script CN=CastSpellByName;GCP=GetComboPoints();if (GCP>=5) then CN(“Eviscerate”);end;if UnitMana(“Player”)>=40 then CN(“Sinister Strike”);end

43. Zuggy on June 10th, 2009 12:16 pm

Yes, conditional macros like that have been completely removed from the game and there is no viable alternative with a similar functionality.

44. Stabbs on June 15th, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi guys can u help me out with a macro, trying to get my hunger for blood off faster.
    tryed /cast Garrote
    /stopcasting
    /cast hunger for blood
    But soon as u hit the key u get the garrote but bars change and cant get the hunger for blood off, can u help

45. Zuggy on June 16th, 2009 12:17 am

option 1: put the macro on a key that isn’t on your stealth bar

option 2: remove the macro completely and put hunger for blood in the same hotkey position that your garrote hotkey is located on your stealth bar

46. Augard on July 6th, 2009 12:19 am

Does anyone know how to script or macro if you are behind a target. You sneak up on a target from the side and do an ambush followed by a sinister strike and come to find out that you only have one combo point instead of three because you weren’t past the front plane of your target. Even building an addon button that shows up on the screen when you are behind your selected target would help greatly.

Thanks

47. Zuggy on July 6th, 2009 9:55 am

@Augard – There is not a script that can accomplish what you’re seeking. These type of conditional macros were removed some time ago.

The only other real option is simply spamming the ambush macro until it goes off and placing your other macro in the same slot on the non-stealth bar for sinister strike.

48. Augard on July 6th, 2009 8:19 pm

Thank you for you quick reply. It will certainly save me a lot of time and frustration in attempting to do something that is not available.

“We the unwilling, led by the incompetent, have done so much with so little for so long, we will now attempt the impossible with nothing!”

49. Rorie on August 14th, 2009 11:14 am

i was wondering whats a better sap macro to find invisables in the arena… the
    Spam sap to get openers
    /cleartarget
    /targetenemy
    /cast sap

or the longer

/console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
    /targetenemy [noharm][dead]
    /console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
    /cast [harm,nodead] Sap

thanks.

50. Zuggy on August 14th, 2009 11:58 am

Both will work fine, you’re really splitting hairs here.

51. Connor on August 26th, 2009 12:54 am

hey i was wondering does anyone have any arena macros for the assassin/sub hybrid arena spec? thanks

52. Augard on December 6th, 2009 7:33 pm

Apologies for putting this macro/script question here but I did not see a general script area and since I am a rogue….

Is there a way to have a macro or script to pull an item out of your inventory and put it in a specific bag and slot? ie Yes I Am An Idiot Shield and place it in bag 4 slot 20

53. Zuggy on December 6th, 2009 11:15 pm

@Augard – I’m sure there is, check out this page…it should help you out with this problem

54. chromehound on February 28th, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Zug… I just found this blog and u r awesome bro!
    I am a noob and I don’t even know macros could make rogue so strong :)
    Thanks for the advice and macros bro…

55. Zuggy on March 1st, 2010 1:43 am

@chromehound…thanks, glad they are helpful!

56. ImbaMages on May 23rd, 2010 11:57 pm

Yooo Zuggy …:

Damn u’ve got some skillz !!
    Tried some of the Roque Macro’s on the forum /blog
    and they rock bananas !!

Really cool !!

If i find something usefull ill post it here to

peace out !!

57. David on December 14th, 2010 9:41 am

Startin to really get into macros and of the complex ones ive created I am getting my butt kicked by a simple gouge and bandage any ideas the generic ones out there dont seem to work anymore
    Also tryin to put together for a hunter dismiss pet and recall so the pet anywhere in the bg dissapears and then reappears next to hunter tried chain command as well as stack type macros nothing is working
    Are there any good macros for a dk or pali —– id like to see cleanse and flash heal buddy up for arenas ill keep working on that one unless you know of a shortcut

58. johnsmith on March 6th, 2011 6:06 pm

i want to bind feint and mutilate but cant seem to find a way cause of cooldown i guess so if ya could help me!

59. Roger on September 29th, 2011 8:46 pm

It seems these posts are old and all, but I felt the need to put a comment in here. Ive been playing for a while now, and Im still a noob. This info is awesome. Im hoping this ups my game by leaps and bounds. Thanks for all the info. Its great.

1. Rogue / Warlock 2v2 Arena Strategy | Zug Gaming